Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Newest Family Member

Meet Floyd.
Floyd is the newest addition to our family. Hubby is not big on cats. He’s a dog man. I on the other hand LOVE cats. I’ve owned one or two cats most of my life. When I asked Hubby if we could get a cat he told me that he didn’t want one but my desire to have one was more than his desire not too so I could get one.

I went to the SPCA and was specifically looking for an adult cat. No kittens. Kittens are too much work and bite and scratch without even thinking about it.

I walked around and looked and pet the different fuzzy cuties that needed a home for over an hour and a half. I kept being drawn back to this little black guy because even though it said he was only four months old he was laid back and relaxed. But no. I needed an adult cat.

I was honestly about to give up because there wasn’t a cat there that fit the bill for the entire family. That’s when I saw a young couple with a baby get out the little guy I had been eyeing. They pet him and he sat there. No abundant friskiness or trying to climb them like a tree. Then the baby reaches over and yanks the cat’s tail. Hard. The cat doesn’t scratch, doesn’t bite, and doesn’t even meow. He simply turns and looks at the baby, and moves his tail out of reach. The couple hems and haws and eventually tells the volunteer that they would have to think about it and puts him back in his cage.

They thought too long because as soon as they walked out the door I pulled his card and said I wanted him. He had to stay and get neutered but I got to pick him two days later.

Floyd is perfect. I thought he was laid back at the shelter but he is completely laid back even in the land of bears. The girls loud squeals make him look or wake up from a nap but not run and hide. Bonus since I wanted to get a cat for the entire family to enjoy. He is a complete love bug and would rather be in your lap or at your feet than anywhere else. Even while we eat dinner he sits under the table and just hangs out. Doesn’t even beg. He does like to sleep on my head when we sleep at night but even that is tolerable. He is so loving and awesome that Hubby has accepted and loved him like everyone else. I guess the guys have to stick together in a house of estrogen.

The only thing wrong with him isn’t even his fault. Floyd had a cold when I got him from the shelter. A cold that turned into something so much worse. Too long for this post so come back tomorrow for one of the most pitiful sights you have ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment