Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Sandwich Stromboli

Sandwiches are a staple. Whether it’s a grilled cheese or plain bologna I’m all about a quick sandwich to get through the day. The “bears” are not big sandwich fans. They like everything that goes into one but once you slap it all together it just doesn’t work for them. Teagan will pull everything apart and eat the insides and not the bread. Kaitlyn will tear it all apart and eat just the meat. Normally Kaitlyn will eat nothing but toast in the morning but slap a piece of cheese and ham in-between them and she won’t touch them.

I’ve had this sandwich recipe for years and have wanted to make it on several occasions. For one reason or the other I never got around to it. The recipe week finally let me make my sandwich. Husband was a bit miffed when he saw what I was making since he was heading to the gym and would have to eat it cold. I think his exact words were “you are finally make something I want to eat when I can’t eat it.” Turkey. He ended up eating it warm and going to the gym later.

How was it you ask? On a scale from one to ten with five being average I would give it a nine. Hubby would give it “a least an eight” and the “bears” would give it a seven. They still tore it apart to eat it but ate most of it including the bread. If I had left out the onions I think they would have ate all of it. But once again they get that one bite of a flavor they don’t like and they will pick and judge every piece before they eat it. I would have given this a ten if it had a spicy condiment on it. Horseradish mayonnaise comes to mind.

I used salami instead of ham. I’m sure it made it greasier but it was a good greasy. Everyone agreed that the salami was the way to go. Okay so the “bears” didn’t necessarily agree but they both ate all the salami first. I did not find shredded swiss so I diced my own. Why do I mention this? Because I had added difficulty and thought I should whine a little. By the way it did not reheat well.

Ham and Swiss Stromboli
Source: Taste of Home’s Quick Cooking, July/August 2001
Servings: 6-8

1 tube (11 ounces) refrigerated French bread
6 ounces thinly sliced deli ham
6 green onions, sliced
8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese

Unroll dough on a greased baking sheet. Place ham over dough to within 1/2 inches of edges; sprinkle evenly with onions, bacon and cheese. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under. Place seam side down on baking sheet.

With a sharp knife, cut several 1/4 inch deep slits on top of loaf. Bake at 350° for 26-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly before slicing. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment