Thursday, September 3, 2009

Sustenance at it's Finest

When I was first learning how to cook in my twenties I cooked several meals that were deemed sustenance. Yes that’s right I taught myself how to cook in my twenties. Up to this point I had a loving, doting Mother and the few years in between I had friends and fast food. One day there was no one there to cook and I wanted a “real” meal. I found my niche is baking. I can cook any meal and it will be good and sometimes fantastic (things with sauce normally fall in that category) but sweet dessert was my strong hold. This has never been helpful to my figure. Taking this into account I should be posting dessert recipes rather than this dinner stuff.

Tonight was Tater Tot Casserole. That just has redneck momma written all over it. I have eaten a version of this from a friend who freely called herself White Trash but got offended by Trailer Trash. Really? Location of the trash was more insulting? Good news is the “bears” ate it. ~ Do a little dance.~ But tonight’s meal should be judged as sustenance. I could have made mac and cheese thrown in some ground beef and it would have been just as well received.

How was it you ask? On a scale from one to ten with five being average I would give it a five. Hubby would give it a four and the “bears” would give it an eight as they ate at least 75% of their plates. I gave it a five because it wasn’t bad but it wasn’t fantastic. It was middle of the road okay. Hubby giving it a four is a little disingenuous. HE GOT SECONDS! How can you give something a below average score and get seconds? Teagan ate all of her green beans first. That kid will eat green beans virtually at every meal if I would serve them. Kaitlyn is not a green bean fan but even she ate hers. Mind you they were last and everything was second to the tater tots. This is only the second time she has had tater tots and she thinks they are crunchy potato goodness.

Hubby has been so good through this entire process. He has been extra kind to let me know I cooked the meals well but they are just not excellent recipes. He thinks I’m beating myself up over this. And I am. I wanted to find new recipes that would give dinner time new life. So here is a call for help. Do you have a recipe that is in your normal rotation you would like to share. I will take anything. I don’t know if I’ll blog about it but I will darn sure try it. Thanks in advance.

Tater Tot Casserole
Source: Various with my spin
Servings: 8

1 pound of ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 envelope taco seasoning
2/3 cup water
1 can (4.5 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
1 can (11 ounces) green beans, drained
1 can (11 ounces) condensed fiesta nacho cheese soup
1 package (32 ounces) frozen tater tots

In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Mix water and taco seasoning; stir in to meat. Simmer uncovered, for five minutes. Add corn, green beans, and soup; mix well.

Spoon into a greased 13x9x2 in. baking dish. Arrange tater tots in single layer over the top. Bake, uncovered at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes are crispy and golden brown.
I am not anal!!

No comments:

Post a Comment